As discussed in the video some of the main signs of a panic attack include:
- Shortness of breath or hyperventilation
- Heart palpitations or a racing heart
- Chest pain or discomfort
- Trembling or shaking
- Choking feeling
- Feeling unreal or detached from your surroundings
- Nausea or upset stomach
- Feeling dizzy, light-headed, or faint
- Numbness or tingling sensations
- Hot or cold flashes
- Fear of dying, losing control, or going crazy
While very frightening the good news is there are some simple treatments to help reduce the symptoms of a panic attack.
The first step is to sit down and take control of the breathing. By concentrating on the breathing and then gently slowing the rate of breathing down many of the symptoms of a panic attack will resolve.
If you see a person having a panic attack it can be very frightening so staying calm and reassuring can greatly help. Of course any person reporting chest pain must be medically reviewed urgently to exclude other causes.
If panic or signs of anxiety are happening on a frequent basis be sure to seek medical review as there are many treatments that can be useful.